My son is married

My son is married
My son just got married!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Four Wordles and Seven Years Ago...

Hey all, check out Wordle.net when you get a chance. This awesome tool allows you to enter words and create a unique visual, displaying the words you typed in. For example, I typed {actually it was a basic copy and paste...I'm not stupid :)}in the words to the Gettysburg Address. Check it out here http://www.wordle.net/gallery?username=Larry%20D. Pretty cool, huh? If you look at it you will notice a few things. The largest words are those that occur most often. This can be very helpful for someone trying to determine how effective their writing style is and what improvements can be made.

"Like I remember like my niece visited us once and like there was this like one word she used like all the time. Like when I like mentioned it like to her she like couldn't believe like she was like using it like all the time."

She is much older and wiser now but recording her and putting her words in Wordle would have opened her eyes to the way she was overusing a certain word. Wordle was a lot of fun and I enjoyed reading others that have been published. You can edit the content or let the program "randomize" it for you. You can change font, capitalize all words, remove words in many language, and change color layouts just to name a few options. I plan on using this next week in my classroom. I was going to have my class write a two paragraph summary of the life of Milton Hershey but I am incorporating Wordle into the lesson and they will create a Wordle with the end result. I will let you know how it turns out. See ya next post.

1 comment: