My son is married

My son is married
My son just got married!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Assistive Technology...Making a difference to that Child

I remember reading the story of the starfish. For those who aren't familiar I have posted the story below (thanks to starrbrite.com).

The Starfish StoryOriginal Story by: Loren Eisley


 One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, What are you doing?

The youth replied, Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die.

Son, the man said, don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can't make a difference!

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the
man, he said
I made a difference for that one.

I think this reflects my views of what assistive technology does for students with specific needs. It makes an incredible difference to that one child as they are introduced to a piece of technology aimed at helping them achieve an equal footing in the classroom. After studying video and reading about this alternative for students, who traditionally had been held back, the future looks bright in many ways. One area of concern is the reality of funding for expensive pieces of equipment. With budget cuts and people struggling with staying afloat in life, how are schools and families going to be able to overcome the cost of these machines? As a teacher at a shelter I have had one instance of witnessing how assistive technology  makes a difference to a student. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a young man who was legally blind enter our shelter. With him came a computer with special attachments. When I assigned students to complete a Powerpoint, he was able to use the  devices to zoom in and develop his own presentation. The other students all wanted to work with him because they were fascinated by how the device brought everything to a large view. This was much more than a mere magnifying glass. He had tools of all types to focus and adjust as he needed to. I pray that we will be able to afford machinery for each child (or adult) in need of assistance in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment